Student Paper Competition
Annually the IEEE Engineering in Medicine & Biology Society, in connection with the Annual International EMB Conference, sponsors a Student Paper Competition (SPC).
- Corresponding author must be an active member of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine & Biology Society at a Student Grade; Graduate Student Member or Undergraduate Student Member
- Corresponding author must have a full contributed paper (4 pages or longer) submitted to the annual EMB Conference
- Full Contributed paper must be nominated to the Student Paper Completion via a completed Nomination Form signed by the corresponding author’s Faculty Advisor
- Corresponding author’s Faculty Advisor must be listed as a co-author of the Full Contributed Paper
Submission Portal will open on July 17, 2021 and the deadline to submit a nomination is August 1, 2021.
Where the corresponding author of a given full-contributed paper meets all eligibility requirements, any author of the paper may access the EMB conference paper management system and submit the required nomination information and documentation; following the Student Award Paper Competition submission steps by the published deadline.
Submissions received without a completed Nomination Form will be deemed incomplete and will not be reviewed for the competition.
Each paper should only receive a single nomination; duplicate nominations will have no impact on the review outcomes
Submissions received outside of the paper management system, will not be considered valid entries.
- Upload the Nomination form and the paper in one PDF at https://embs.papercept.net/conferences/scripts/start.pl.
Click on Submit a Contribution to EMBC’21, click on submit (to the right of student award paper nomination). Your advisor should upload the form if he/she is a co-author on your paper. If he/she is not a co-author, you may upload the form on your advisor’s behalf. The nomination form MUST be uploaded by the nomination form deadline.
Only those full contributed papers which are submitted and accepted to the conference can be nominated for the student paper competition. Thus, nomination forms will be accepted after all authors have received their accept or reject notification by the conference review board and committee.
**PLEASE NOTE**-When submitting to the Student Paper Competition,
please add “Nomination for” then your paper title.
Only those papers which are Accepted to participate in the conference program, by the EMB Conference Editorial Board and EMBC Organizing Committee will be reviewed for the SPC. Papers which are rejected will not be considered or reviewed for the SPC.
Please note that for a paper outlining a design project, the construction of the project, the accompanying design considerations, and verification of project success should be detailed in the paper.
All Accepted papers with a complete nomination submission will be reviewed by the SPC Committee and considered as finalist to the competition; weighing scores and review comments provided in the initial review.
After the SPC committee completes its review process there will be a total of 15 finalists selected:
One (1) finalist will be selected from each of the 5 EMBS geographical areas:
- North America (US & Canada)
- Latin America (Mexico & South America)
- Europe (as defined by WHO)
- Middle East & Africa
*Geographical units represented by fewer than five (5) authors may be combined with another group for the geographical Competition.
Ten (10) additional Finalists for the Open Competition.
The corresponding author of the selected paper (Finalist) must attend the Conference and present his or her paper in the regular conference program, and in the SPC special session. Co-authors or substitute presenters are not permitted.
A panel of judges will carefully review each presentation and select that First, Second, and Third place winners based on the technical merits of the work, professionalism of the presentation, and verbal communication skills.
The three overall winners of the SPC will receive an engraved plaque and an honorarium:
- $1,000 USD for the first place winner
- $750 USD for the second place winner
- $500 USD for the third place winner
All Selected Finalists will be entitled to complimentary registration to the Annual EMB Conference and travel support:
- Geographical Finalists are entitled to travel reimbursement up to $1000 USD
- Open Finalists are entitled to travel reimbursement up to $500 USD
All Travel expenses will be reimbursed to the Student in compliance with the IEEE Travel & Reimbursement Policy
Any questions related to the Student Paper Competition should be directed to the EMBS Executive Office
Han Yuan (email@example.com )